Another call for wider range of contributors (was: Re: Action items status)

Thanks for the clarifications, Philippe

Let me point out that, IMO, we won't be able to run the DOM TS against
Mozilla, IE and Opera unless we have significant contributions from (at
least) IE and Opera resources (given that Netsacpe already contribute
significantly, having donated tests and allocating resources on the DOM
TS framework). We are currently trying to focus on framework issues (ie.
comparing the JsUnit in its most recent version with the version that
Curt Arnold tweaked in order to be able to run the existing DOM TS
tests) which is rather resource draining. We're also still contributing
and evaluating HTML tests; given the latest clarification from the DOM
WG that it is the DOM Level 2 HTML specification which is to be
considered the normative one, we should soon be able to focus on final
sanity check and packaging in view of the DOM TS Level 1 version 2 and
DOM TS level 2 at a later stage.

As we stand now, we do not have the resources to look into special
issues arising in connection to problems encountered with the JsUnit
framework in IE and Opera (to my knowledge). Any help is not only
appreciated, but very much needed. We could of course decide to go ahead
and release a DOM TS which is known not to work properly, but then the
question is if we will manage to help move the Level 2 HTML draft nearer
specification status. Given the fact that we need two implementations of
the DOM Level 2 HTML specification in order to move it further down the
W3C publishing pipeline, it goes without saying that parties interested
in having their product used as a showcase of DOM Level 2 HTML
compliance need to help out in seeing to that there is a framework to
show this.

As I've pointed out on the list a few times, pending on significant
contributions, I think we'd be lucky if we were able to release the DOM
TS in the very near future.

/Dimitris