createEntityReference issues in DOM L1 test suite

In off-list discussions with Dimitris, I mentioned that we still had not
received a resolution for the createEntityReference issue needed to complete
the L1 test suite.  I had mentioned a vaguely recalled message from David
Brownell, but had not been able to locate the appropriate message.  It
apparently was
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom-ts/2001Nov/0055.html
 which discussed this issue in addition to the interpretation of "*" when
used as a namespace parameter.

>    Quite a number of the tests that try to verify behavior for
>    readonly nodes produce errors because instead of using
>   such nodes as found in the document, they try to create
>    new entity refs

Many of these tests intentionally use createEntityReference since the
read-only behavior would be untested when the processor or application
chooses to expand entity references.

>    ... such refs are created with no children.

They are in GNUJAXP, but not in Xerces-J.

>  (This is an area where IMO there are longstanding API
>   deficiencies in DOM.  First, you can't mark subtrees as
>   readonly.  Second, entities and entity refs, in their entirety.
>   I recall discussions late in DOM L1 to ensure it was legal
>   to never populate these nodes, yet these tests insist that they
>   must always be populated.)

From DOM L1 Core (Second Edition)
http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/WD-DOM-Level-1-20000929/level-one-core.html#ID-392
B75AE

>createEntityReference
>Creates an EntityReference object. In addition, if the referenced entity is
known,
>the child list of the EntityReference node is made the same as that
>of the corresponding Entity node.

All the entity definitions are in the internal subset so the sections that
allow external subset entity definitions to be ignored for non-validating
parsers should not apply.