Re: DOM TS copyright and sf at w3.org

"Arnold, Curt" wrote:

> >> Should each test
> >> have a "Copyright (c) 2001, MIT..." boilerplate?
> >
> > Yes, they should.
>
> I thought so.  We should provide a standard formulation.
> Hopefully, it would be sufficient to place something like:
>
> <!-- Copyright (c) 2001, whoever.  This document is made
> available under the W3C Document Notice http://www.w3.org/...  -->

/*
 * Copyright (c) 2001 World Wide Web Consortium,
 * (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Institut National de
 * Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique, Keio University). All
 * Rights Reserved. This program is distributed under the W3C's Document
 * Intellectual Property License. This program is distributed in the
 * hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even
 * the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR
 * PURPOSE.
 * See W3C License http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ for more details.
 */

> instead of having to include the full text of the document
> notice in every test.
>
> A transform could be provided that inserts the appropriate
> boilerplate when the proper formulation is decided (but
> before the submission process is started)

After a discussion with Joseph Reagle, we agreed that the submitter
can still hold the copyright on the submitted test but he needs to
grant the W3C the license to use them:
[[
   Declaration of [Submitter]

   [Submitter] hereby grants to the W3C, a perpetual,
   nonexclusive, royalty-free, world-wide right and license under any
   [Submitter] copyrights in this contribution to copy, publish and
   distribute the contribution, as well as a right and license of the
   same scope to any derivative works prepared by the W3C and based on,
   or incorporating all or part of the contribution. [Submitter]
   further agrees that any derivative works of this contribution prepared
   by the W3C shall be solely owned by the W3C.
]]

Of course, it presumes that the submitter really holds the copyright
on the submitted tests but this can be sorted out during the acknowledgment
period.

> I understand the need to keep the official tests clean, but
> I see an conflict between the expected use of the tests
> and the "No right to create modifications or derivatives
> of W3C documents is granted pursuant to this license."
>
> I could see the following scenarios that seem like a legitimate
> use of the tests but progressively get closer to conflicting
> with the prohibition on derivative works.
[...]

Good points. Let me work on that and see if we are able to come up
with a license that follows the requirements and is easy to implement.

> > There is a Bugzilla
> > system in the W3C
> > but we're still testing it so it is not ready yet.
>
> If you are already working on Bugzilla, then it would probably
> be best to keep the resources focused and get it usable
> for this project instead of bring another piece of software
> into the mix.

Again, the service is not available yet and don't have a release date. Since I
don't have the possibility to speed up our systeam resources, I'm proposing
the SF solution based on my own time resources.

Philippe