Re: [General] Status?

Comments inlined.

--Mary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dimitris Dimitriadis" <dimitris.dimitriadis@improve.se>
To: "'Curt Arnold'" <carnold@houston.rr.com>; <www-dom-ts@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 09, 2001 11:39 AM
Subject: SV: [General] Status?

> comments inlined

[mb] We have an ECMAScript transform from a derivative Schema -- some minor
mod's that were made to one of Curt's earlier versions -- I don't think it
will serve
as the transform, but it may be useful to see the less than polished code
that is
generated -- the tests seem to run in both IE and Mozilla using this
harness --
I'll have to look into making it available.  It may provide some starting
points.

> Haven't done anything on Python.
>
> [dd] We'll definitely allow some time to tweak the transforms if needed
once
> we have the test files ready.
>
> > 2. A general discussion as to whether ANT will be used as the primary
tool
> > for builds.
>
> I thought it was the most appropriate tool.  What alternatives would you
> like to suggest?
>
> [dd] none, it was merely a comment aimed at raising a discussion if anyone
> feels we should have another tool. ANT works fine for me, besides we can
> really use any tool we like for building the TS before packaging it.

[mb] Ant works for me, but it is not trivial to get ant, cvs, the
appropriate parsers,
xslt processor, etc working together.  Some documentation would sure help!

> > 3. A general discussion as to whether people wanting to download the
files
> > themselves should be able to do this to both build the DOM TS as well as
> > write their own harness around it.
>
> The W3C CVS has anonymous read-access so unless we intentionally want to
> prevent people from accessing the source, they are technically capable of
> doing it.  Since the most significant audience for the test source and
> harnesses are parser authors, I don't think that it is necessary to
provide
> an easier way to get at the source.
>
> [dd] The DOM WG expressed the wish to
> 1. have a simple harness around the tests, for example for on-line
checking
> using ECMA script
> 2. be able to write your own harness around the tests
>
> I believed this is allowed by the license as it was finalized, correct me
if
> I'm wrong.
>
> The standoff over using the W3C Software License was explicitly to allow
> legitimate deriviative works.  I only made my contributions after I
thought
> this issue was resolved.  Reversing that decision and making the tests or
> harness non-public would be detrimental to the effectiveness of the suite
> and would do seriously bad things to my attitude.
>
> [dd] Nothing in the development of the DOM TS will be non-public, so I
don't
> see there is any reason to worry. Given that people will be able to
download
> the tests from the CVS, they may also want to write the harness around it.
> One way of going about is to just inform on what files are definitely
> needed, then let people do what they want.
>
> > 4. Release of NIST tests, sanity check, editing, being done.
>
> I understand NIST's desire not to publish anything that isn't almost
> perfect.  But it is impossible to determine any coverage issues and
> discourages anyone else from trying to contribute tests until the NIST
tests
> are committed to the CVS (which will hopefully happen shortly).
>
> [dd] I agree, I believe we will be able to go into sanity checking phase
> quite soon.

[mb] Not sure what you mean here -- our less than perfect tests are and
have been available for some time.  The tests have been modified, but have
not all been translated and compiled.  I would expect that any contribution
would
not be accepted until it met this minimum requirement.