RE: DIAL is supported by the cell phone or browsers now?

Hello Robbie,

DIAL is not intended to be used at the presentation layer itself. It is
an "authoring language". The DIAL documents are transformed (adapted) by
a DIAL processor to produce markup that is suitable for the target
device. Thus no mobile device is required to support DIAL itself.
Instead, the DIAL processors would be required to generate whatever
markup the devices were using. A DIAL processor would be located on a
server (or cluster of servers for large deployments). A DIAL document
could, for example, be transformed to produce a XHTML-MP document, or a
XHTML 1.0 document, or WML, iMode etc if the transformer was suitably
powerful.

If you apply no transformation to a DIAL document, apart from executing
the embedded DISelect, you will produce a XHTML 2.0 document. This is
not supported by browser clients at the moment. For this reason,
adaptation of DIAL documents should be assumed. XHTML 2.0 is quite a
good language to use for adaptable authoring, though in theory you could
use any machine-readable document format that could represent content in
an abstract manner.

Commercial solutions based on the concepts contained within DIAL have
been on the market for some time, if you care to look at the offerings.
Trial versions may also be available. The basic concept is to
incorporate guidelines from the author into a source document to drive a
transformation process. Embedding this within XHTML is the approach
presented in DIAL. Some open source content adaptation solutions might
also solve your mobile needs using similar or alternative techniques,
unless you are looking for commercial-grade support.

Regards,
---Rotan Hanrahan. (MobileAware, Member DIWG, Chair DDWG)

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/dial/