Re: Expressions in DISelect versus MQ

Hi Anne,

"Anne van Kesteren" <annevk@opera.com> writes:

> It seems like the subset defined in
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2005/WD-cselection-20050502/#sec-expressions
> matches  Media Queries
> http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-css3-mediaqueries-20020708/  pretty
> closely except for the `di-cssmq-` prefix/namespace. What would the
> problem with having a (global) attribute that takes a media query like
> media="" in XHTML 2.0 (it currently only takes a CSS 2.0 medium I
> believe).

You've almost answered your own question: the media attribute in
XHTML2.0 _only_ takes a CSS2 media type (aural, braille, etc.).

That wasn't enough for the people who designed DIAL, and that's why the expr
attribute from DISelect allows complex XPath epxressions.

Now, if media accepted the same sort of expressions, there would be a
significant overlap which we'd have to sort out somehow, but at this time
the functionality offered by DISelect goes far beyond that of XHTML2's media.

Cheers,

Max.