RE: [DI Glossary] DeliveryUunit

So, the implication here is that a Delivery Unit may not be sufficient to create a Perceivable Unit. It may be necessary for other DUs to be delivered to the client, from which a PU is created. If this was mentioned in the definition, we might finally put an end to the confusion. (Although human ingenuity might find wonderful new forms of confusion...)

---Rotan

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Gimson [mailto:roger.gimson@hp.com]
Sent: 18 August 2005 18:06
To: www-di@w3.org
Cc: Rotan Hanrahan; Johannes Koch
Subject: Re: [DI Glossary] DeliveryUunit

I am probably responsible for creating the confusion here, as I believe
I drafted the original definition of 'delivery unit', as it appears in
the September 2003 version of Device Independence Principles [DIP2003]:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-di-princ-20030901/

Example 2.2.1.2 in [DIP2003] suggests that a delivery unit is the
response to a single HTTP request (whether direct or indirect in Rotan's
description). The 'set of material' refers to the combination of
representations that may be delivered together, such as HTML with
embedded ECMAScript.

However, Example 2.3.1.1 in [DIP2003] says that 'a user agent may render
the material received in a delivery unit' - implying that it consists of
all the material needed to render it, as Rotan suggests.

This latter example, however, does make clear the distinction between a
'delivery unit' and a 'perceivable unit', which was the original
motivation for introducing the two terms.

Together, they replaced the term 'presentation data' used in the
September 2001 DIP, which itself caused confusion:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/WD-di-princ-20010918/

As far as device independence is concerned, the point is that adaptation
may take place server-side, producing a delivery unit, and/or may take
place client-side, producing a perceivable unit.

Though it is not stated explicitly, the implication is that several
delivery units may be required to produce one perceivable unit and that
one delivery unit may produce several perceivable units.

This is also the reason that the definition states that 'Users are not
normally aware of individual delivery units.'

Roger
--
roger.gimson@hp.com | HP Labs, Bristol BS34 8QZ, UK | +44 117-312-8167