From: Christian Timmerer (ITEC)
[mailto:christian.timmerer@itec.uni-klu.ac.at]
Sent: 24 May 2004 08:22
To: Rotan Hanrahan; 'Johannes Koch'; 'Kai Hendry'
Subject: RE: Multi-channel content

Dear Rotan, all,

> A complete database is a very intensive, time-consuming and ultimately
> expensive operation. Commercial solutions exist. They are comprehensive.
> The UAProf information is within such solutions, but (speaking from
> our experience) the UAProf info is terribly insufficient to produce
> solutions for Device Independence. Therefore these DBs are extended
> with considerable additional information to support DI products, and
> are typically updated every few days (as new devices appear, and new
> characteristics are identified by customers/users).
[Christian Timmerer (ITEC)] I'd like to take the opportunity to refer to MPEG-21 Digital Item Adaptation (DIA) which has been
recently standardized (Dec 2003). This includes a rich vocabulary to describe the usage environment, i.e., user characteristics,
terminal capabilities, network characteristics, and natural environment characteristics. The FCD (Final Committee Draft) is still
available under http://www.chiariglione.org/mpeg/working_documents.htm#MPEG-21.

Hope this helps, especially for producing solutions for Device Independence :-)

However, if you have any further questions, comments, ... please let me know.

Best regards,
 -Christian

(Editor of MPEG-21 DIA)