RE: Multi-channel content

A complete database is a very intensive, time-consuming and ultimately
expensive operation. Commercial solutions exist. They are comprehensive.
The UAProf information is within such solutions, but (speaking from
our experience) the UAProf info is terribly insufficient to produce
solutions for Device Independence. Therefore these DBs are extended
with considerable additional information to support DI products, and
are typically updated every few days (as new devices appear, and new
characteristics are identified by customers/users). Unfortunately this
would put such DBs out of reach for non-commercial activities. Members
of DIWG (including MobileAware and Volantis) have regularly mentioned
such databases within their products. Interoperability and compatibility
across these solutions is desireable in the long term, which is a
prime motivation for supporting the development of CC/PP, and eventually
a core vocabulary (of attributes, etc.). However, I doubt that even a
standard DB based on CC/PP will ever cover the breadth of knowledge
required by the solution providers already in the market, so there will
always be a gap between the commercial repositories and what you can
get for free.

Good luck on the hunt.

---Rotan