Re: UA strings

On 22 Jun 2004 at 12:22, Kai Hendry wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 10:29:23AM +0200, Andrea Trasatti wrote:
> > In general a manufacturer can give whatever browser name they like. They SHOULD
> > give a single user agent to each device model. Some manufacturers have a single UA
> > per model, some other, such as Nokia, give you a revision number too. This is extra
> > non-required info.
> > Nokia devices are, in general:
>
> I found an informative PDF:
> [1] http://ncsp.forum.nokia.com/csp/?body=detail;aid=11550
>
> See page 11.
>
> Yes they should give a single *versioned* user agent to a model? So the
> developer knows what to expect with a certain model?
>
> I like to think the UA is more important. Differences in the UA software
> must be *required* info. Tracking UA developments is what I want to see
> happen. Mobile UAs need lots of work IMO...

I agree, but often manufacturers don't read or ignore these mailing lists and desires
and requests from developers.
We (developers) do what we can.

> > <main version> is generally 1.0. We some exceptions such as the 3100 sold in EU and
> > the 3100 sold in USA. The latter has main version 2.0 and the big difference is that it
>
> It's GSM vs CDMA right?

Uhmmm, no, the 3100 sold in USA should be GSM too, but on a different frequency
AND supports XHTML while the EU version does not (if my memory is not playing
tricks on me).

> > From my experience, Nokia prepares 1 UAProf for each main version, as it was said on
> > the list, the name is generally like Nokia3100R100 or Nokia3100R200.
>
> Each main version of the User Agent software? Or the model?

Should be same device (hardware) new software.

> Reading the PDF document [1] above (is there a way to link a PDF page as
> HTML?!?!) it seems this browser comes under DP 1.0. Developer Platform
> 1.0. Can anyone clarify?

Nokia develops many different devices based on the same hardware and software.
These are called "Developer platform". There are currently 4 developer platforms I
think, 1.0 and 2.0 for series 40 and 60.
Each developer platform has a set of capabilities (screen size, colors, MMS support,
J2ME support and version and so on).
All these info are available on the Nokia forum.

> > Last but not least, on your webpage you talk about "MmsMaxImageResolution" that is
> > the max image resolution for an image in an MMS message. The device will
> > automatically resize it to fit the screen!
>
> Would it not be good if the browser UA did that too? :)
> I think IE does this. And hence a user probably expects this to happen
> by default.

IE doesn't resize images, mozila does!
This is not a required feature for the WAP browser from the OMA, so if the
manufacturer or browser developer wants to implement it's an extra feature.

- Andrea

Andrea Trasatti
Bware Technologies
http://www.bware.it