Re: plotting accessibility

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:24:55PM +0100, Rotan Hanrahan wrote:
> problem. It can be (partially) solved by adding metadata to "explain" the content,
> from which an informed decision might be reached.

I don't think semantics is going to catch on very quickly. Most people
can't link correctly.

> Your current Venn diagram is just another hierarchy. Find the intersections. For

After my post:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ig/2004AprJun/0515.html

And thinking about "accessibility" for awhile, I have to the conclusion
that it should narrowed down to people who are specifically disabled (in
the legal sense) and require special needs. It should not be a catchall
term.

d-i and accessibility are related themes and aspects of course.  However
in my writing I will be careful about using the word "access".

I also would like to suggest changing the tagline of d-i from:
"Access to a Unified Web from Any Device in Any Context by Anyone"

to something clearer, such as:

"Making the web portable"

or

"Scaling the web"

or

"Caring about platform interoperability"

I would like the d-i do more to certify user-agents. Test suites and
guidelines.

I don't why UA stuff is under Accessibility:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/

It's confusing! d-i should really come up with uniform user agent
guidelines. Like UAs must show the url. Must be able to edit it. Must be
able to view source. Must be able to handle xxxx size documents. Must be
able to report errors. And so forth.

Else where else is this going to be done?

If I pick up a mobile, and use their XHTML browser I would like to know
if it's going to work or not.