Re: Still alive?

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 04:20:28 +0100, Dorian Taylor (Lists)
> <dorian.taylor.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 20-Mar-10, at 8:13 PM, Laurian Gridinoc wrote:
>>
>>> Is there any installable Annotea server anymore? hmmm, if I were you
>>> I would build my own Annozilla-like extension (over xpointerlib),
>>> that would follow http://www.openannotation.org style and persist
>>> the data in a remote triple store installation like 4store.org or on
>>> a hosted RDF storage like the Talis platform.
>>
>> Not concerned about a working server, I'll just implement the
>> protocol over top of my existing stuff. Will look at
>> openannotation.org. #1 thing I want to do is click the little star in
>> FF and have that go to my own back end.
>
> Having implemented an annotation server on top of some other server
> system a decade or so ago, I recall it being pretty easy. If I had a
> bit of time now I guess I could do it with Opera Unite - the hard part
> isn't the server, but the user interaction. I can probably do that
> with userJS, although I am not sure about creating Xpointers (i.e.
> that would require me actually learning new stuff).
>
> If anyone is interested in it as a project I'll happily explain better
> what I am thinking.
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals
Laurian,

Another option that you should consider is Danno.

Danno is an Annotea server implementation that persists annotations to a
local triple store (currently Sesame or Jena SDB or RDB).  Danno also
implements OAI-PMH, and number of annotation query extensions.  The
accompanying Dannotate tool is a multi-browser annotation tool that
supports text and image annotation and has an experimental "live
updates" mechanism.

There are public demo pages for Danno and Dannotate at
http://maenad.itee.uq.edu.au/danno/ and
http://maenad.itee.uq.edu.au/danno/dannotate.html

The Maven site for Danno and Dannotate (and related projects) are online
at http://metadata.net/sf.html and the software is available from
SourceForge at https://sourceforge.net/projects/metadata-net/

Danno is currently being used by the Atlas of Living Australia and the
Aus-e-lit project, as well as in some internal projects.  And the
codebase is under active development.  (We're currently working on
access control and user management aspects, and there are other
developments on the horizon.)

-- Steve