Re: Comments on the draft W3C Annotatea specification

Here are a couple of clarifications / followups to my previous post:

On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 13:27 +1000, Stephen Crawley wrote:
> 6)  When I POST or PUT an annotation with an embedded body, the body
> is
> assigned a URI.  The examples show URLs for the body taking the form
> "/Annotations/body/XYZZY", where "/Annotations/XYZZY" was the url for
> the annotation.  Is the string "body" required to be present, or could
> some other string be used?  Similarly, could the unique part of the
> body
> URI ("XYZZY") be different to the corresponding part of the annotation
> URI?

6a)  If the embedded body has a URI, should this URI be preserved or
should the body be stored with a new URI?

> 7)  If I PUT or DELETE an annotation that was previously POSTed with
> an
> embedded body, what should happen to the old embedded body?  Bear in
> mind that the old body would have been given a URL, and that it could
> be
> the 'object' of some other annotation property.

7a)  The spec clearly states that the DELETE should cause an embedded
body originating from an earlier POST or PUT should be deleted.  (My
mistake ...)  But it does not say if a PUT causes an old embedded body
to be deleted immediately.

11)  The spec does not say what should happen if you POST two
Annotations with embedded bodies that have the same preallocated URI,
and then you DELETE one of them.  Specifically, what should happen to
the "shared" body.  [Clearly, there are ways to avoid this difficult
case.  One way is to answer 6a) above by saying that the embedded body
should always be given a new URI.  That would mean that the body cannot
be shared.]

12)  What should happen if you try to use DELETE to delete an embedded
body; i.e. by passing it "/Annotations/body/XYZZY"?  What about using
PUT to update an embedded body?  (Maybe the best answer to these cases
is to say that they are beyond the scope of the spec.)

13)  The Annotea Schema appears to allow properties like 'annotates' and
'body' to be repeated in an Annotation.  Should this be forbidden?  What
about the case of an Annotation with no body property?  (An Annotation
with no 'annotates' property is already forbidden.)