Re: Using XPointer with HTML

Cool. I take Jim's point that this is not exactly a quick way to resolve the
problem - but the basic problem is that people are using old systems when
there are new ones available which work for almost all the applications, and
work better. Getting people to upgrade is really a slow solution, so pointing
out why some things run extra slow when people are waiting might help a bit.

"Please be patient while we are checking the server to deal with your HTML
code. Did you know that you could do the same things with XHTML and avoid
making your clients wait for this service? Have a look at
http://example.org/how-to-make-good-code"

cheers

Chaals

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Nick Kew wrote:

  On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

  > So one approach the RE group could take is to define a document namespace
  > which is in fact defined as the Tidied version of something, where there is a
  > reulst defined for when Tidy just gives up.
  >
  > A variation is to annotate a given docuemnt with an annotation type of
  > "valid XML representation so we know what the xpointers refer to" or
  > something, and make Xpointers refer to that (and define it, also, as the
  > result of applying Tidy or something, so the actual thing can be
  > autogenerated).

  Yes, that's essentially what Jim and I are doing.

  >	 Anyone want to make a server that does this?

  Yes.  A server doing exactly that is in the very-near-future plans,
  as a demo application of mod_xml.  It'll be somewhat akin to tidy,
  but (unlike tidy) it is DTD-aware.