Re: Using XPointer with HTML

[ Caveat: this is my personal opinion, not representing the HTML WG ]

"Jim Ley" <jim@jibbering.com> wrote:

> So no matter about HTML documents, XHTML ones can't be annotated either?
> (RFC 3236 defines application/xhtml+xml )

So long as you use 'text/html', no.  For XHTML documents served as
'application/xhtml+xml', "3. Fragment identifiers" of RFC 3236 says
as follows:

   At the time of writing, [XMLMIME] does not define syntax and
   semantics of fragment identifiers, but refers to "XML Pointer
   Language (XPointer)" for a future XML fragment identification
   mechanism. The current specification for XPointer is available at
   http://www.w3.org/TR/xptr. Until [XMLMIME] gets updated, fragment
   identifiers for XHTML documents designate the element with the
   corresponding ID attribute value (see [XML] section 3.3.1); any XHTML
   element with the "id" attribute.

> The question is not how does XPointer into HTML compare to XPointer into
> XHTML, but can we point to something in an HTML document?

"It depends".

Regards,
--
Masayasu Ishikawa / mimasa@w3.org