Re: [FYI] More annotation support in the latest Amaya release

At 06:10 PM 1/10/2002 +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:
>At 18:15 09/01/02 -0500, Ralph R. Swick wrote:
>>At 08:08 PM 1/9/2002 +0000, Matthew Wilson wrote:
>> >Annozilla iterates over all RDF resources assuming them to be annotations.
>>
>>no need to make assumptions -- in RDF, those things that say they
>>have type Annotation are annotations.
>

>That's the bit I was missing - checking type.

cool.  Glad this looks easy. I apologize that we did not think
to test your client against our new server before we released it
in order to catch this and warn you much earlier.  By way of
comfort, it appears that our servlet made the same assumption
about the type of the objects it would find.

A little bit more detail on the RDF background for those interested:

There are two ways that the type can be declared in RDF/XML
syntax.  The way the old server shipped the RDF, there was
an explicit type property (element); e.g.

  <?xml version="1.0" ?>
  <r:RDF xmlns:r="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
	xmlns:a="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#"
	xmlns:http="http://www.w3.org/1999/xx/http#"
	xmlns:d="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/">
  <r:Description about="http://annotest.w3.org/annotations/annotation/982362336.255548">
    <r:type resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#Annotation" />
    <r:type resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotationType#Comment" />
    <a:annotates ...

This says that there is a description of a resource named
"... 255548" and that resource has two types.  (Comment is
actually a subclass of Annotation, but that is not important for this
discussion).

The new server uses an abbreviated syntax form that says exactly the
same thing to an RDF engine:

  <r:RDF xmlns:r="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
	xmlns:a="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#"
	xmlns:http="http://www.w3.org/1999/xx/http#"
	xmlns:d="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/">
  <a:Annotation
    r:about="http://annotest.w3.org/annotations/annotation/982362336.255548">
    <r:type resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotationType#Comment" />
    <a:annotates ...

The <A:Annotation> element is merely a well-defined (by the
RDF syntax spec) short-hand for the pair of elements
<r:Description><r:type resource="http://www.w3.org/2000/10/annotation-ns#Annotation" />

-Ralph