Re: Instructions for Installing Annotation Server for NT

At 10:02 05/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>What's the current status with this? I just tried with the latest versions
>from the CVS
>archive and I'm getting this problem with syscall.ph too (on both NT and
>2000).

Sean,

I struggled with this for a few weeks, and eventually gave up,
Annotea is not written to work with Windows and uses several linux only
features, such as the syscall things...

The syscall in question is used to obtain a high-resolution timestamp for
the debug files, it is not essential for normal operation ( I think ) and
if you are happy to live without debug info you can change the following
lines in annotate (around line 172 in my file, but could have changed if
you have fresh sources from the CVS):

     $query = new W3C::Util::W3CDebugCGI($0, $ARGV[0] eq 'DEBUG',
                                         {-dieNoOpen => 1,
                                          -logExt => '.log',
                                          -storeIn => '/temp/logs',
                                          -rerun => 'w3c_rerun',
                                          -mergeQueryAndPOST => 1});

Add    "-noStore=>1" somewhere in the parameter string and annotea will
newer write the debug information file, and never need syscall.ph.
Alternatively you can replace the timestamp with a low-res timestamp (1s)
using the built in perl time() command.

I also ran into problems with the DBM files used and changed this
line  (line 42 in my file)

$DEFAULT_dbParms = "-type => 'sdbm', -file => '/etc/apache/conf/users'";

to using sdbm in place of "ndbm" (I think - i cant be bothered to check the
original sources)
This must be changed in several files.

I had a few other problems as well, but I cannot remember them now...

The best result I ever got was a server that returned the right http code
according to the protocol, but never actually wrote anything to the DB. In
the end we decided not to use annotea for our course after all, so my time
dedicated to this was limited.

Let me know how you get on!

--
Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes