Re: Problems with Annotea Server

On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 05:15:09PM +0100, Markus H. wrote:
> I try to install the annotea server but it doesn't work.
> I installed the perllib from cvs, a mysql database and the apache webserver on a
> linux system.
> After that i set the configuration files and tried to call the "annotate"-script
> with a normal webbrowser.
> But i got an error message "Internal Server Error". So i watched the log-files
> and found the following 2 lines:
>
> [Wed Oct 31 01:02:03 2001] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
> /usr/local/perl/modules/W3C/annotations/cgi/annotate.cgi failed
> [Wed Oct 31 01:02:03 2001] [error] [client 192.168.0.10] Premature end of script
> headers: /usr/local/perl/modules/W3C/annotations/cgi/annotate.cgi

The system we run here has no annotate.cgi. Did you rename annotate to
annotate.cgi to make the server happy? I don't remember off the top of
my head if there are hard-coded references to the script. There may be
as it makes the code much simpler to read. If there are, I would
advice changing annotations/cgi/annotate.cgi to
annotations/CGI/annotate.

Also, I notice that the annotations/CGI directory is instead
annotations/CGI. Are you running this on a FAT partition?

> On my command line i can execute the annotate script (with any user):
>
> linux:/usr/local/perl/modules/W3C/annotations/cgi # perl annotate.cgi
> (offline mode: enter name=value pairs on standard input)

Can you exec it directly?
  linux:/usr/local/perl/modules/W3C/annotations/CGI # ./annotate
If not, you need to
  linux:/usr/local/perl/modules/W3C/annotations/CGI # chmod +x annotate
to make it directly executable.

> Is it possible to test the script offline? Are there all perllib modules
> installed right, if i can run the script?
> What commands are accepted from the script on the command line?
> I don't know where to search the error.

The best tool for debugging your problem is the error log, usually
found in /var/log/apache/error.log. It will tell you why you got an
"Internal Server Error". Once you are able to execute annotate, you
will be able to see the results of the last run by typing
  linux:/usr/local/perl/modules/W3C/annotations/CGI # ./annotate DEBUG

but I don't recommend doing this before you have successfully run it
once from a browser as it will create a file /tmp/annotate.log with
permisions which will keep the web server from executing annotate. This
log file needs to be writable by the user or group www-data.
-rw-r--r--    1 www-data www-data 19419546 Oct 31 00:56 /tmp/annotate.log

The DEBUG function is good for people debugging client-server
interactions. Each response from annotate comes with a session-id. You
can rerun any session with
  annotate DEBUG someSessionId
or
  annotate DEBUG -4