Re: access problems

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 06:49:33AM -0400, Paul Denning wrote:
> I tried to submit the form for access [1], but received an error:
> Access to "/etc/apache/conf/users" failed. No such file or directory
>
> Can someone look into this error?

Sorry about that. I was cleaning up some code and took it upon myself
to clean up some directory after running my tests. Please let me know
if you have any more problems.

> Also, policy [2] states
> User groups: Everyone can read annotations stored in this service. Anyone
> with an acceptable access id and password can post new annotations to the
> service. The following user groups have acceptable id's : (1) users with
> existing W3C member access password and identification, and 2) anyone with
> e-mail address that obtained a temporary identification from W3C id server.
>
> Is there a way to read annotations on annotest.w3.org without either (1) or
> (2), as suggested by "Everyone can read ..." above?

It has been the case in the past that the annotations server [1] and
algae interface [3] did not require authentication when reading
annotations. The policy may have been drafted to reflect
that. However, I think it is more likely that the policy reflects the
fact that anyone may go through the same account application process
and, assuming I don't break the server again, get access to any
annotations you make. I believe the distinction between unathenticated
and authenticated, but anyone may have an account, is insignificant
from a polity viewpoint.

> My W3C member access password does not work.  Am I correct to assume that I
> still need to submit the access request even though I have a W3C member
> account?

That is true. We have the ability to create a member server if there
is general interest.

[3] http://annotest.w3.org/algae
--
-eric