Re: Use of Annotea with non-XHTML HTML

"Ralph R. Swick" wrote:

> Meanwhile, does the community here think that Amaya should
> disallow selection (highlighting) of element content when
> attaching an annotation to a text/html document?  Should it
> limit the context to the smallest enclosing element with an
> ID or NAME attribute and draw its pencil icon at the start
> of that element?

I think that as you mentioned:

> >The syntax "http://foo.xxx/bar.html#xpointer(...)" should therefor not
> >been used for HTML documents.
>
> "should not" as in "is not endorsed by any standard and is
> therefore not interoperable when employed".

 the key point is the level of interoperability we want to achieve.

If the purpose is "only" to indicate to an Annotea client the location
to highlight, then one can use any syntax ;=) and yes, I do think that
this is a useful feature...

The fact to write "http://foo.xxx/bar.html#xpointer(id('Main')/p[2])"
has anyway enough intrinsic meaning to attach a higher level of
expectation and 99% of the internet lurkers would probably expect it to
be a valid URI that can be opened in their favorite browser!

It's a matter of presentation and

<a:context-pointer>id('Main')/p[2]</a:context-pointer>

would probably not chock anyone!

Eric
--
See you in Berlin for XML Europe 2001: