Re: Use of Annotea with non-XHTML HTML

Matthew Wilson wrote:

> For Annozilla, I try to resolve the XPointer describing the context of the
> annotation, and I intend to try and construct XPointers when creating
> annotations. Currently I concentrate on things like
> xpointer(/html[1]/body[1]/p[3]). This works quite well, but I can only do
> this  by navigating the DOM.

While I understand how useful this would be, this is not conform to the
RFC 2854 [1] that is the normative reference describing the HTML media
type (browse for "3. Fragment Identifiers").

This RFC clearly states that the fragment identifier for HTML documents:

<quote>
   designates the correspondingly named element; any element may be
   named with the "id" attribute, and A, APPLET, FRAME, IFRAME, IMG and
   MAP elements may be named with a "name" attribute.  This is described
   in detail in [HTML40] section 12.
</quote>

The syntax "http://foo.xxx/bar.html#xpointer(...)" should therefor not
been used for HTML documents.

To change this should involved only the XPointer WG, but also the
authors of the RFC 2854 and the HTML WG which is quoted in this RFC.

Since the HTML WG has declared that no further work would be done on
HTML and that the problem is solved for XHTML, I wonder if these
specifications are likely to be changed, though.

My 0,02 Euros.

Eric

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt

--