Re: Use of Annotea with non-XHTML HTML

Hello Matthew,

On Tue, May 08, 2001 at 07:16:17PM +0100, Matthew Wilson wrote:
> What is the situtation regarding the use of Annotea with documents which
> are HTML, but not XHTML?
>
> XPointer, after all, applies to "resources whose type is one of text/xml,
> application/xml, text/xml-external-parsed-entity, or
> application/xml-external-parsed-entity".

You got it right. I can tell you that in the Amaya client instance of
Annotea, we allow to make XPointers on HTML documents. As Manos pointed out,
if you do so in a non-valid HTML document, the result may vary from
browser to browser. You can, of course, use XPointer to point to the anchor
or to the ID attribute of HTML documents. However, if your XPointer expression
has some kind of tree inside it, it should only point to one of the above
types of documents. At least, this is the politcally correct, spec.
conformant view. We don't impose such rule in Amaya yet, because we wanted
to experiment  a bit more with the possibilities of XPointer. We may need to
change this in the near future, according to the feedback we get from the
XPointer WG.

-jose