Re: about CritLink and annotation systems in general

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, Laurent Denoue wrote:

> But the biggest problem is that it works with a central, CONTROLLED server
> (like CritLink).
> Someone wrote that Crit doens't have this problem : of course it does. Your
> annotations are stored on the Crit Server,
> and the administrator can modify or filter your annotations !
> It is the same as 3V.

I have to respond to this: this is not the case at all!  This is a
very important difference between ThirdVoice and CritLink.  The Crit
system permits annotations to be stored *anywhere* on the Web, by
*anybody* who can put up a web page in the normal fashion.

It does permit you to post your annotation on crit.org if you wish --
but only for convenience's sake.  You can choose to post your
annotation anywhere you like, and even password-protect it if you
want.  ThirdVoice users have no such option.

> There is already a way to annotate the Web : you just write a web page with
> links to the pages you want to annotate.
> BUT you can only annotate the whole page. To me, an annotation can be more
> precise.

I agree.

> BUT XPointers can handle this, so you are NOW (in theory) able to annotate any
> Web Page.

Not just in theory.  CritLink is an application of the theory
that yields an actual, usable solution.

-- ?!ng

"Happiness isn't something you experience; it's something you remember."
    -- Oscar Levant