defining mediator

At 11:25 AM 8/27/1999 -0700, ping@lfw.org wrote:
>Yes, we do.  The name is "mediator" (1995). ...
>A "mediator" is something which stands in the middle and attempts to
>produce an augmented or processed variant of the original.
>
>So, the term for Crit is a "remote mediator".  The term for what you
>are talking about is a "local mediator".

I like that. I didn't read your docs carefully enough to unbind the concept
of "mediator" from the "remote mediator" implementation. But can I suggest
more specific terms than {local|remote} ?

- The ThirdVoice mediator is a plug-in, so it's local.
- The CritLink mediator is situated at the (remote) annotation server.
- HyperNews, Slashdot, PageSeeder, the mediator is on the (remote) server
which has the mark document and the related annotations. Call it
"integrated" ??

The prototype I'm working on: the mediator software is run locally at the
client, but it has to be served alongside the mark-doc as Javascript code.
Thus the user is relieved from having to download the client helper
application. Call it "served" ??

Past the prototype stage, I think "local client" is the best all-purpose
mediator solution.

Oh, and BTW, the "mark document" is my term for "the document which
comments have been made upon." I'm just borrowing the term from con-artist
jargon (where the "mark" is the guy who's gonna get conned), it seems to
sound right.

(On my page I called it the "Executor"-- poor choice. I'll update the terms
when I get a chance.)

Jon
GTE Internetworking /Powered By BBN/ ......
Burlington, Mass ...........