Re: Yawas : new Web annotation system

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Ron Zalman wrote:
> The notion of intermediator used in my paper, is an adaptation of
> the term defined by Barrett,R., and Maglio, P of IBM. It is similar
> to the mediator term you had suggested, but is much more general.

As far as i can tell, what Barrett and Maglio describe in their
paper is the same thing.  They write:

    We define intermediaries as computational elements that
    lie along the path of web transactions.

That's what a mediator is.  The following is excerpted from my
1995 definition:

    ... a mediator is a service that functions simultaneously as a
    server on its front end and as a client on its back end,
    which acts not only as a proxy for the user's request but
    also performs some useful type of processing on the retrieved
    document.

The second feature which i specified, modifying the link URLs
in a document to cause subsequent fetches to also use the mediator,
was my way of implementing a mediator to be universally accessible
to all browsers, despite possible lack of proxy support in the
browser and any firewalls that might get in the way.

Ron Zalman wrote:
> This is incorrect.
> proxy based annotation system (like crit.org) have inherent HMI limitations:
> The HMI is totally limited by the HTML\JAVA languages.

Sorry, please allow me to be clearer: that a mediator is limited
by the abilities of HTML in its user interface is granted; that a
user may be "disturbed" by the addition of buttons or extra
information in the page has nothing to do with the mediator.

> I believe you'll be convinced that such HMI capabilities are
> not achievable by proxy-intermediation.

You are absolutely correct on this.  It's an issue of trading
off the richness of the user interface against the
platform-independence of the system.

!ping

"I haven't committed a crime. What I did was fail to comply with
the law."
    -- David Dinkins, former New York City Mayor