Re: Control on the right to create annotation

> From jpalme@dsv.su.se Wed Aug 21 02:11:52 1996
> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 1996 11:00:23 +0200 (MET DST)
> From: Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se>
> To: www-annotation@w3.org
> Subject: Control on the right to create annotation
>
> Do I understand that the intention is to allow anoyone to create
> annotations on any web document, and that these annotations will
> then be visible to anyone who looks at the web document?

Jacob:

I honestly do not think that there is any way to "force" people
to view public annotations.  Either the content provider (i.e the
web server) has to agree to participate or the content reader
(i.e. the web browser) has to explicitly do something to solicit
the annotations.

> Can this be implemented without support from the web server for
> the document being annotated?

Yes.  An exmample of a related technology is PICS, the technology
that allows an independent rating service to provide ratings
(e.g. P, PG, R, X, etc.) to web documents without requring any
cooperation from the web server.

> One might also allow the author of a web page the right to put
> some meta-information into the head of his/her web page,
> specifying that public annotations are not allowed on that web
> page? In the Web4groups project, we plan to allow the authors
> of pages control of whether discussions are allowed or not on
> their papers.

For your system, it is your choice.  Other people think that it
is imperitive that author's not be given the choice of disallowing
public annotations.  A range of choices is available here.

Let me reiterate that given the current web architecture,
there is no way to force the viewing of public annotations;
some sort of content providor or content reader action is required
to make them viewable.

-Wayne