Re: [Feature request] File date and time check

Charles McCathieNevile, Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:23:31 +0200:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:03:49 +0200, Keith Rubow
> <krubow@micro-aide.com> wrote:
>
>> Laurent Carcone wrote:

>>> Amaya used to manage the http etags but there was some problems and
>>> some users complained because they couldn't save their document,
>>> there was a 'conflict' message even when they were the only ones to
>>> modify the document. so we disabled this option.
>> ... The feature request is to simply warn the user that the document
>> has been changed, and give the user a choice of saving the document
>> or not. Presumably the user could also chose to do a Save As to a
>> new file name, and then then compare the two files to see what other
>> changes had been made to the document to see if the two sets of
>> changes need to be manually merged. I think this is an excellent
>> suggestion.
>
> +1

I too think, that in principle, it is a good proposal. However ... it
also depend on the implementation. When I started to use VIM, it
irritated me a lot that it remembers security copies of documents it
has worked with - and offers to "recover/delete/whatnot" the document
based on those copies "all the time". Simply editing the document with
another editor will cause VIM to "scream" next time VIM opens that
file. The way I have learned to handle it, so far, is to simply delete
the things that VIM wants me to consider. (Of course, emacs is of
course so much better.) ;-)

So, with the mixed http etags story in memory, may be the feature
Steven asked for should be a pro option that users can enable. That, or
it has to be a really good implementation, which "screams" only when
necessary ...
--
leif halvard silli