Re: Line beginning with space after comment

Helder Magalhães a écrit ce qui suit, le 01/11/09 23:25 :
> Hi Dominique,
>
>> For the following code (inside a <p>)
>>
>>> j’ai une série de réserves. Je le trouve schématique, parfois simpliste
>>> <!--  et parfois tout à fait erroné --> sur certains points. (Le livre
>>>
>> Amaya renders an undue space to begin the second line.
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean (the problem/symptoms are not very clear
> IMHO). By guessing, though, I'd say you are using "xml:space" set to
> "preserve", which would in fact place a space in the second line. This
> is the expected behavior AFAIK [1].
I am not using this. (I do not know what it is.)
> Note that the default behavior
> (without "preserve") would cause the paragraph not to break, therefore
> typically being displayed in a single line.

Sorry, my description above is too short, mixing code and rendering. It
is an ordinary paragraph (with margin-top: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px;
text-align: justify; text-indent: 30px; in the css), a single line
indeed but flowing naturally to the next line because of the width
(wrapping).

The code

j’ai une série de réserves. Je le trouve schématique, parfois simpliste
<!--  et parfois tout à fait erroné --> sur certains points. (Le livre

did render as

j’ai une série de réserves. Je le trouve schématique, parfois simpliste
 sur certains points. (Le livre

with a queer space where it happens to flow to the next line precisely
at the comment. It is pure chance that the wrap in display corresponds
to a newline in the code.

> I've quickly picked up from your sample and created a comparison
> (with/without the property): I'm attaching a screenshot of the result
> using "amaya 11.3 (Sep 9 2009)".

Forgot to say I am using 11.2. My case is the first case of your
screenshot, but with a length of text (for the window) causing wrapping
at the comment.

Looking at my text, now wrapping at another point, there is still a bug:
Amaya renders a double space after the comment. Thus the bug seems to
have nothing to do with the wrapping of the display (I was mistaken by
the peculiar wrap in my first message) but only with a comment after a
newline in the code. If you look at my SpaceCommentBug screenshot, the
code is unchanged as above but there is obviously an extra space in the
display between the words simpliste and sur.

I made a test. In the case of the new StyleCommentBug screenshot there
is no space in the code after the comment. It depends on the style: I
cannot obtain it if I cut the style tag in head. More testing shows it
depends on justify. I deleted the text-indent clause. The bug does not
always show at first. It does not depend on the space after the comment.
It obtains in both cases. You may have to click in the code at the end
of the comment to make it appear. (Mystery that just clicking something
in the code pane, without changing anything, should change the display!)
I attach the html of the test. I should try the same in 11.3 but I have
no more time now.

--

Amicalement, Dominique,
dominique@d-meeus.be, http://www.d-meeus.be/