Re: newbie &nbsp representation question

What is written into the html source is a hex byte "a0".  The "text" &#xa0
followed by a ; is for the browser to interpret? rather than be dependent
on the character set used in the source generation or the browser.  The
standard used:

should encode/render a "non breaking space" (by the formerly used and now
disallowed &nbsp) by &#xa0 (followed by a ;) not by a byte.  This seems in
sync with the difficulty of older text editors to insert a byte that is
not seen/displayed by the editor.
--just an Amaya newbie who knows only enough to get into trouble

As a side issue and opinion:
The idea of using a "non breaking space" when the option "keep multiple
spaces" is used and multiple spaces are placed in the Amaya
"rendered/non-source" text seems somewhat excessive.  I do not know if
the XML/xhtml standards disallow multiple spaces.  Leaving multiple spaces
in the "source" code would allow those multiple spaces to be broken over
lines rendered by the browser(s). The coder/author would/should insert the
specific "non breaking space" when that is the desired effect.  So far I
have not seen a method to insert that specific special character in Amaya
11.2's WYSIWYG editor.  All "real" writers use source html not a
WYSIWYG!???

I really!!!! like Amaya.  My coding directly in (x)html is woefully error
prone and feature/syntax ignorant.  Amaya gives great WYSIWYG!  I have
been using html to keep various "logs" since 1999 and got hooked on
simple, easy to compose, fast to compose, pages that open source WYSIWYG
HTML editors provide.  There is probably no excuse for being so addicted
to the easy solutions that Amaya, Mozilla, Seamonkey, Openoffice, etc.
provide.

Thank you,

Jim Waldram                   Atmospheric Science Dept.
Exec. Computer Support Spec.  University of Wyoming
jwaldram@uwyo.edu             Department 3038
307-766-5351 (Ph)             1000 E. University Ave.
307-766-2635 (Fax)            Laramie, WY 82071