Re: amaya for fedora 8?

On Wed, January 9, 2008 08:46, Matej Cepl wrote:

> On 2008-01-08, 16:33 GMT, Regis Boudin wrote:
>> --------
>> + make -j3 all
>> --------
>> I would avoid that. Someone at Debian tried to rebuild the whole archive
>> with -j2, it appears that Amaya doesn't cope well with it. :(
>
> That's Fedora/Red Hat default -- we just seem to trust in the
> quality of our upstream authors too much ;-). Could fix, but
> I was able to build amaya with it, so I will keep it present for
> now.

I would say it's mainly a matter of luck. Our test with -j3 failed with
"/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Text file busy".

>> See the private mail I sent you earlier for details, but you
>> got it pretty
>> much right.
>
> As a former Debian user, I can still read debian/rules pretty
> well ;-).

Well, the thing is, patches are not necessarilly in a patches/ directory,
I only keep them here for reference, and to make it easier for other
people to understand what is actually patched.

>>> 2) When bin/amaya_bin is being linked (line 2919 and its
>>>    surroundings) linking crashes (version of system libwww is
>>>    5.4.1):
>>>
>>>    query.o: In function `AHTProfile_newAmaya':
>>>    /home/matej/redhat/BUILD/Amaya/WX/amaya/../../amaya/query.c:2430:
>>>    undefi ned reference to `HTTransportInit()'
>>>    /home/matej/redhat/BUILD/Amaya/WX/amaya/../../amaya/query.c:2469:
>>>    undefined reference to `HTTransferEncoderInit(_HTList*)'
>>>    /home/matej/redhat/BUILD/Amaya/WX/amaya/../../amaya/query.c:2487:
>>>    undefined reference to `HTMIMEInit()'
>>>    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>>>
> I was trying to understand query.c and I have to admit that
> although I am not a programmer, I didn't like what I saw. Note,
> that it doesn't ask for HTTransportInit, which is really in
> libwwwapp, but for the C++ object HTTransportInit() (and later
> HTTransportInit(_HTList*) -- when you saw last asterisk in
> C symbol?).

This is actually the linker saying the function it looks foor takes a
pointer to _HTList as a parameter, nothing wrong here.

> It seems to me that the author of query.c (and
> related files) got somehow really confused in dealing with
> C symbols inside of C++ files and the result is mess -- it seems
> to me that the particular symbols are generated twice inline and
> the system one in libwwwapp is never used anyway. After all this
> struggle I have created this brutal patch which made Amaya to
> compile:

Though I agree that query.c looks messy, I'm not sure the problem is
related to the C/C++ confusion.

I hadn't noticed that Amaya embedded more copies of files from libwww...
But they aren't compiled anyway, so I have no idea how your patch fixed
the issue :/

> But I am afraid that means that the internal libwww is used after
> all, right?

At this point I have no idea. A build log would have the answer ;) But if
you still had my patches applied and used the --enable-system-libwww,
probably not. You might have compiled/used an internal copy of one file.

> I was able to compile Amaya with it -- whoever
> wanted for the Fedora Amaya, it is on
> http://mcepl.fedorapeople.org/rpms/amaya-9.55.2-1.fc8.i386.rpm
> but it doesn't work wek well -- the problems with display of the
> webpages is constant.

There are some issues with display and DRI on some video cards, might be
that.

>>>    and (I guess)
>>>    one of the reasons why many distros (aside from the ones
>>>    managed by maniacs like Debian Developers -- that's meant as
>>>    a praise)
>>
>> I'll take that as a compliment, then. :)
>
> Yes, s/praise/compliment/ -- my English betrayed me ;-).

I was not pedantic picky about vocabulary, don't worry. Just commenting on
the fact that I am described as "maniac" ;)

Regis