Re: Multiple spaces converted into one

Although I agree with the stylistic practice of placing a double space
at the end of a sentence, I would argue against Amaya doing this as a
matter of course.  This is a matter of style, not content.  The proper
place for style is in the CSS, with no 'unnatural' modification of the
content required.

IMO, CSS should support this stylistic option, however I'm not aware of
either current or planned support for it, which leaves us with the
question, "Should Amaya, as an editor of web pages, attempt to
compensate for perceived omissions in the (X)HTML or CSS
Recommendations."  I would vote NO, for all of the reasons associated
with the value of standards in general.

In the meantime, I end every sentence with a non-breaking space,
followed by a new line, which gives me the style I want with only a
slight distortion (and one not imposed on others) of the
Recommendations.  For material brought in from other sources, a tool to
automatically do this might be useful, but I would not consider it an
appropriate function of Amaya itself.

Chris Beall