Re: Bug report for release 2.4 on linux

This is a follow-up to a bug report from about a year ago. I finally
figured out the DNS issue I reported, and it was not Amaya's fault at all.
In fact, my name server set-up was incorrect. My server worked with libc5
based programs, but not with libc6 (=glibc2) based programs. As my system
was mainly libc5, but Amaya was one of the few libc6 applications, I
incorrectly suspected Amaya. By the way, the fix was very simply once
traced down. The file /etc/resolv.conf needed to get the line "nameserver
127.0.0.1" added.
Well, one loose end tied up!
Uwe

> Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 07:43:18 -0500 (EST)
> From: Uwe F Mayer <mayer@tux.org>
> To: www-amaya@w3.org
> Subject: Bug report for release 2.4 on linux
>
> When trying to load a page not on the local computer, I get an error:
>
> >  The requested URL could not be retrieved
> >  While trying to retrieve the URL:http://www.w3c.org/
> >  The following error was encountered:
> >  Connection Failed
> >  The system returned:
> >  (51) www.w3c.org
> >  This means that:
> >  The remote site or server may be down or non-existant.
> >  Please try again soon.
>
> Two things about this:
> 1. I'd like to know why Amaya doesn't find that location, even as
> netscape does. This might not be a bug, but just incompetence on my
> side.
Uwe F. Mayer <mayer@tux.org> www.tux.org/~mayer
PGP key available via finger and via the world wide web page