RE: error tolerance within amaya

Right. I use Lynx most of the time - it's fast. I use Amaya if I am editing
stuff, which I do for a fair number of hours a day, and I use some other
browser if I need to deal with tag-soup masquerading as HTML.

Since accessibility is my job, I am encouraged by the fact that the sue of
ALT is actually a lot better than it was two years ago, although I agree that
there are still too many people who don't see the value of it. And too many
tools that make it difficult to use it well. (I would appreciate feedback on
the image help page of Amaya, which deals with using alt as part of the
process. But I don't know how many people read documentation...)

Charles McCN

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Dave  J Woolley wrote:

  > For a lot of users, missing ALT is the single most critical problem in
  > being
  > able to use a website. That is why it is required by the DTD, and is one
  > example of why validating to the DTD is as important as working with
  > browsers.

  	Actually I agree, in part because I sometimes use Lynx,
  	however missing ALT is probably the most common HTML error
  	and accounted for most of the validation errors, so I wanted
  	to point out that the failed pages didn't just fail on
  	that point.

  	Requiring it in the DTD, unfortunately, doesn't solve the
  	problem as it is easy to shut up a validator by using
  	alt="", if you are energetic, or leaving it as
  	alt="silly-picture.gif (100MB)".  Even people who actually
  	key something in rarely think about why it's really there.