Re: color choice overrides

charles' 5 line CSS tutorial...

to give a style to an element you list the element (called a selector in
technical CSS writing), then in curly brackets you put the style feature you
want to declare, a colon, and the value you want for that property.

example:
BODY { font-size: 24pt }

To set several properties at the same time, use a semi-colon between each
declaration, inside the same set of curly brackets.

example:
H1 { font-size: 180% ; font-weight: bold ; line-height: 1.5em }

To make your statements override the ones that an author uses, add !important
after each property declaration

example:
P { font-size: 12pt !important ; line-height: 2em !important }

NOTE: You should not do this in stylesheets that you publish, only your local
stylesheet for reading, until the CSS2 cascade order is widely implemented.

If your browser uses the CSS2 cascade order, this will be fine. If not, then
an author who has published a style sheet with !important will override
yours. (sigh)

I don't know which cascade Amaya uses. It does allow you to disable any style
sheet attached to a document, which is a handy feature.

Cheers

Charles McCN

On Mon, 16 Aug 1999, John Russell wrote:

  >   > Many web authors make poor colour choices.
  >   > Some of these make pages unreadable to colour-impaired
  >   > viewers. Several browsers allow an override setting to be
  >   > configured by the viewer.  DOES AMAYA ALLOW THE
  >   > VIEWER TO OVERRIDE SETTING MADE INSIDE THE
  >   > HTML DOCUMENTS
  >   > Being slightly blue/green impaired myself, I view this as
  >   > an important accessibility feature that all browsers,
  >   > including Amaya should include.
  >
  > On Mon, 16 Aug 1999 Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr wrote:
  >   Not exactly, but Amaya is an editor and you can easily change or
  >   remove the background/foreground color.
  >
  > --Charles McCathieNevile            mailto:charles@w3.org
  > you can use stylesheets

  I have used a stylesheet which works ok on my own editing at at my
  own site and on those where people are kind enough to let one
  choose for themself.  Unfortunately once someone's site chooses
  a color you are stuck with it... I am suggesting that an override be
  provided as an ACCESSIBILITY issue.  Amaya can lead the way on
  this as it does on several other issues such as MathML.  Thanks for
  suggestion. It took a while to get amaya.css going as at first i thought
  it had to have tags ala html --- this worked on other browsers but not
  in amaya --- dropped any html tags and it worked like charm.  I had
  better buy a better reference -- one by que fails....

  john russell  VE3LL@RAC.CA

  homepage: http://web.cgocable.net/~jrussel