SCO 3.2v5.0.4 fails XLookupString is multiply define

This was posted on comp.unix.sco.programmer with
message-ID:  <379C58C8.8D705BB9@arc.it>, i.e.
news:379C58C8.8D705BB9@arc.it  The original contains
large attachments of the configure and make output,
but I think the key error message is:

i386ld: Symbol XLookupString in /usr/lib/libX11.a is multiply defined. First
defined in ../thotlib/libThotEditor.a

The compiler is gcc.

Reply-To set to the list and the original sender - I
have no further information, and the originator is
probably not subscribed.