Re: Amaya for web course development

> Hello, we've been experimenting with using Amaya as an editor/browser for
> web course development. (A graduate-level controls class.) I generated a
> test lesson, which you can view at
> <http://www.u.arizona.edu/~fasse/ame558/c11/page1.html>.
>
> Do you know of other people using Amaya or MathML in general for course
> development? Or for that matter of any examples of MathML on the web? I
> would like to look at other people's work.

I guess there is a community of mathematicians interested by cross experiences.
but I cannot point you to any specific person. I carbon-copy my answer to the
amaya mailing list www-amaya@w3.org in case any reader will be interested.

We're currently preparing a new release 2.1 for the next week. That release
will
include improvements in the MathML support and we will continue to improve it
more and more in the future.

> We haven't decided for sure to use Amaya. Maybe it's too risky. We'd like
> to wait a few years until the development tools are more mature and the
> popular browsers support MathML. But what can we do, we need to develop
> our course this summer! I had hoped to use Amaya for develpment and
> techexplorer as a browser plug-in, but I have not been able to use
> techexplorer to display my test lesson properly.

Popular browsers announced they want to support MathML is near future.
I don't believe there is a risk to use MathML because it's an opened
*standard*.

> Thank you for your efforts!
>
> Ernie Fasse
>
> P.S., I hope you don't mind the personal message. I looked at your
> listserv archives. It looks like most of the postings are very technical,
> regarding installation and the like. I certainly had a lot of fun
> installing the source version on my linux system! I was missing all kinds
> of shared libraries and did not have a motif-compatible window manager.

Our mailing list is open to any questions, technical or not, concerning Amaya.