Re: Proposal for future improvements

David J Woolley wrote:

> > > In the general case, the most efficient implementation may be to
> > > maintain two copies of the window bitmap and copy them, to swap them,
> > > twice for each blink.  I think this is probably why it is considered
> > > optional.
> > The requires much more overhead than the required blinking! With this route
> > YOU implement the blinking. With the tag, the brouwser implements the
> > blinking (and it has the option to disable it)
>
> What I'm describing here is how a browser would need to implement
> blinking.  If you want Amaya to blink, then Amaya has to either copy
> over the whole window twice for each blink, or copy over all of the
> blinking elements twice for each blink.  The latter option is more
> efficient for small amounts of blinking but would be a lot more
> expensive for extensive use of blinking.

I don't think Amaya should implement blinking. It should just accept it and
refer to a stylesheet what to do with it, with a default for 'do-nothing'.

What do browsers which accept blinking while they print the blinking text?

What does Amaya if bold is required and the characterset does not provide
it?

> You get blinking free on some character cell terminals, because there
> is an attribute for each character and the hardware combines a
> blinking clock with that attribute and the display data in a gate.
> Bitmap type displays generally don't have a plane reserved for a
> blinking attribute, so require the whole of the blinking areas to be
> updated for each blink.
Here again, I see 2 alternates: ignore blinking or change it to something
else.

Amaya, btw, has the 'alternate' view which represents a terminal. Since this
(looks like) usage of a terminal(-emulator) just go for blinking as
specified in the terminal(-emulator).

CB

--
Is reading in the bathroom considered Multi-Tasking?
Corne' Beerse					| Alcatel Telecom Nederland