Re: needed picture format (was: Re: Amaya 1.3b)

David J Woolley wrote:

> > Note: the only thing we need is the capabilities to make vector oriented
> > pictures. The best thing I have seen in this relation is the draw
> >

> In terms of semi-open standards, you already have Postscript and PDF
> (and in my view PDF is technically the right approach for most
> commercial web pages which are about form rather than content).
No: PDF is an approach for distributing documents, not for web pages. A
web page is one page at a time to be seen in a brouwser, where pdf is
aimed at documents of more than one page to be printed on your local
printer.

> Machine generated Postscript tends to look complicated but simple
> diagrams in hand coded Postcript really are quite simple.
True: strip it to a core default (as with sgml <--> html), change tags
to sgml tags and there you have something I meant.

> PDF is Postcript minus programming but with file structuring for
> fast navigation.  It still has the same primitive graphic operations,
> but they have to work on numbers, not expression.
NO: try to read any postscript in your favorit editor, it will not
complain about characters outside the readable ascii range where a pdf
file contains binary data.....

> There are also the ancient Unix draw commands and more recent FIG
> ones.
Just select one to include in html....

> Commercially, there is Shockwave.

CB

--
Try not to let implementation details sneak into design documents.
Corne' Beerse					| Alcatel Telecom Nederland