Re: help needed & (request)

Dear Jam:

	Yes, you can download the source to Amaya from http://www.w3.org/amaya
but you will need to understand a number of things to make anything of
it. There are several steps in understanding browsers and as I am
partway in that understanding myself, I can at least point you
(hopefully) in the right direction.

	1. Study how HTTP & HTML work. There are resources available through
the search engines such as http://www.altavista.digital.com that will
help in understanding how HTML works and how it is transmitted by HTTP.
The key to understanding browsers is to determine how to parse the
various tags that are embedded in the page you are receiving.

	2. Study how your computer works. In compiling a browser in windows95,
you will need to understand how a window is created, what a child window
is, how to perform subclassing (a C++ subject) [among others]. You will
find it completely frustrating to go down this path with Basic. It will
be necessary for you to obtain Visual C (the latest version is 5.0, but
any version later then 4.1 should do).

	3. Study how libwww works. There is a lot of interesting information
necessary to understand how to address a server, request a page, request
any of the embedded items in that page and then to parse all of them and
display the result in a browser window.

	Basically, you will find that no one will do it for you. The price of
being in this arena is study and understand how it works. The source
code is there and available, but that won't help you without
considerable preparation and study.

--
Charles Krinke        http://home.pacbell.net/cfk
FAX (714) 645-0208    mailto:CFK@pacbell.net