Re: Some questions

On Wednesday 21 November 2007 01:53, RMcElroy wrote:
> I just read An Introduction to Amaya (W3C NOTE 20-February-1997) and have
> some questions. I hope you can help.
>
> I am, by no stretch of the imagination, a Website developer of any
> sophistication. I have just begun to learn HTML, but I have built a few
> Websites for myself and friends using Front Page.
>
> I am looking for a Website building tool that is WYSIWYG and has the
> simplicity of use (user interface) that Front Page offers but will allow me
> to expand the use of web components to build more sophisticated Websites
> with more of the bells and whistles that have become common on today's
> Websites i.e. automatic photo slide shows, text displays that revolve and
> so on. Looking at 'view source' of existing Websites that have those
> attributes and others, I see that they credit WC3 and so I assume the
> developers used Amaya.
>
> My questions are:
> 1. For someone who is pretty limited technologically, would Amaya be beyond
> my abilities to use?

Yes Amaya can help to generate web slide shows and we hope the new comming
release will be easy to use for you.

> 2. Is it realistic for me to approach using Amaya now
> with the idea that I can become even more adept at using it as my knowledge
> of understanding and writing HTML grows. The idea being that somewhere down
> the line, It will all come together for me?

I hope so.

> 3. Does Amaya offer a simple
> 'Publish' button for uploading to a host or is uploading to a server only
> done through ftp?

Today Amaya provides a publish button, but it works with the http PUT method.
We hope to support another internal publishing method next year.

> 4. Does an Amaya-built Website require or recommend a
> Linux server on which to host it?

No specific server.

> 5. Is hosting an Amaya-built Website a
> fairly common thing for most hosting companies such that they would not
> require much, if anything, from me to prepare for my uploading the site to
> their server?

No. The Amaya task is just to edit documents and generates valid HTML.

--
     Irène.
-----