Re: [amaya-dev]Re: More questions abour the build system

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 18:24 +0200, Irene Vatton wrote:
> On Friday 27 October 2006 17:06, regis@imalip.net wrote:
> > > Normally we have to use static raptor & redland.
> >
> > Is there a specific reason to that ?
>
> Unfortunately yes, when the API changes from one version to another.

Wouldn't it make more sens to change the Amaya source code to follow the
new API in this case ? IT would make you benefit from improvements and
bug fixes from the library. Plus, it makes less code for you to
maintain. I had a quick look, changes don't seem very intrusive.

The attached dont_use_constructor.diff patch removes a useless call to
librdf_serializer_rdfxml_constructor(), which is already called
indirectly by librdf_world_open() including in the version you provide,
so it can be safely applied. This only leaves 2 issues with the latest
version of librdf.

> > Honestly, my aim is slightly different. What I would like to see is a -src
> > archive which can be built without using any static library on systems
> > providing the shared ones. I already do this with the Debian package,
> > though my patch doesn't cover all the cases (and is therefore not ready
> > for inclusion).
>
> On our side, we'll continue to generate Amaya versions with some static
> libraries. That concerns libraries that need patches or whose API changes
> between two versions.

I clearly understand that, that's why the patches I submit work this way
by default. I only try to make it possible (and if possible easy) to use
shared libraries.

Anyway, 2 more patches :

cleanup.diff :
-gets rid of test against unexisting variable enable_gl and replaces the
AC_ARG_WITH(GL) by a cleaner thing.
-replaces NOPRINT and PRINTIFNOTGL by their values
-removes duplicate use OF AC_ARG_ENABLE()
-gets rid of with_raptor, which is never set
-gets rid of the test against with_nogui, which can never be true
-remove all the mechanism to build libraptor. It is useless, as redland
includes it already and it relied on the existence of the libraptor
directory, which was never created.
-removes the RAPTOR_RDF_PARSER flag, which is set but never checked.

auto_redland.diff :
-removes the --disable-redland option, and replaces it by a mechanism to
automatically enable or disable the build/link of redland, depending on
the enabling/disabling of annotations and bookmarks, reverts back to le
builtin version if the shared one was requested but not available.

I'm also working on other patches, but I will submit them when I feel
they are of good enough quality.

Regards,
Regis