Re: Amaya HTML parser.

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 15:16:50 +0200, Laurent Carcone <laurent@w3.org>
wrote:

>Hello Thaddeus,
>
>In fact, Amaya uses 2 different parsers, expat for XHTML documents (and for
>XML documents in general)
Which is of minor interest because this is something I can already do
quite easily.

>nd an ad'hoc parser for other HTML documents.
>This parser is specific to Amaya and has no well-defined API. Nevertheless,
>you can have a look on it in the module 'amaya/html2thot.c', and particularly
>on the definition of the automaton.

Ok. So you've basically answered my last question, but
the first two are still left unanswered.

Is the parser relatively bullet proof? I find the combination of
Tidy+expat simply unusable. Tidy chokes on some rather
simple From previous experience if there are problems with
with simple input a system is going to have lots more problems
when the input scales up. I don't want to be dealing with tons of
special cases that Tidy can't handle. That's the way to disaster.

Is the parser code in Amaya easily extractable? I once tried
to do the same thing with the pile of -- they call mozilla, and it was
a disaster. Now that was mozilla, and using anything from there
is asking for trouble. The question is what about Amaya?

Thaddeus L. Olczyk
Think twice, code once.