Re: Keyboard shortcuts

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 00:57:02 -0500 (EST)
Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Irene Vatton wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 18 Jan 2003 17:25:17 -0500 (EST)
> >Charles McCathieNevile <charles@sidar.org> wrote:
> >
> >> In using the spanish and french versions I have realised and been told
> >> by other users that there are problems and potential problems with some
> >> shortcuts, because the keyboard mappings are different. For example on
> >> a french AZERTY keyboard the "-" and "6" are on the same key, so using
> >> them for zoom and h6 can create a conflict.
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone has a quick solution for modifying this, so
> >> that it is possible to launch a different shortcuts file according to
> >> the keyboard mapping - this should be dynamically variable and take its
> >> default from the X11 keyboard map or whatever the windows equivalent
> >> is, but even having a configuration option would be a good start.
> >
> >Amaya lets you customize your keyboard mapping.
> >You just have to define a file amaya.keyboard (Unix) or amaya.kb (Windows)
> >in your AmayaHome directory.
>
> Right, but the problem is that I don't know of any mechanism for selecting
> between keyboard profiles if you use more than one of them. Having a
> distribution with several optional keyboard files would help, but there are
> people using azerty keyboards, qwerty keyboards, and belgian keyboards, all
> of whom can be expected to use the french version, so they still need to pick
> a keyboard file.

A configuration menu could suggest to chose a predefine amaya.keyboard
or amaya.kb file and install it in the user environment.

> I will start to look at the code, but would appreciate any pointers...

I suggest you have a look at the file Amaya/thotlib/dialogue/input.c
The configuration file is read by InitTranslations to generate internal structures.
ThotInput uses these internal structures to call associated functions.

> >If people provide other examples of these configuration files, we will include
> >them in our distribution.
>
> I will work with the folks at SIDAR on shortcuts files for spanish keyboards
> as a first step.
>
> >> I presume that doing this would be a good opportunity to look at
> >> different mappings for different profiles. In particular the idea of
> >> having keys available in browser mode and different keys in editor mode
> >> (similar to the way that vi works) has been discussed in the past. If
> >> it is easy to change keymapping profiles this seems like a good
> >> possibility.
> >
> >Personally I don't appreciate that behavior in vi. It's often source of errors.
>
> Fair enough, but there are a lot of people who do appreaciate the behaviour
> in vi and might appreciate it in Amaya too. If it is easy anyway then it
> would be interesting to try. (If it is way too complex then it might still be
> just an interesting idea for the future, of course...)
>
> cheers
>
> Chaals

     Irene.
-----