Showing a message in non-MathML browsers

From: Steve White <wsr4@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:00:08 -0700
To: www-amaya-dev@w3.org
I want to display a message to explain to my readers why their browser
doesn't display MathML correctly, but to hide the message if they are
using a MathML enabled browser.  I have achieved partial success:

<math xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">
<mphantom>
<mtext>
This document is formatted using MathML--see &lt;http://www.w3.org/Math/&gt;.
It won't look very good unless you view it with a MathML enabled browser.
One such browser is Amaya--see &lt;http://www.w3.org/Amaya/&gt;.  There is
also a MathML-enabled version of Mozilla for Linux--see
&lt;http://www.mozilla.org/releases/&gt;.
</mtext>
</mphantom>
</math>

Is there a better way?

I'd like to put hypertext links in the message, but haven't figured
out how.

The "mphantom" element leaves some ugly horizontal space.  I've
tried to remove it with an "mpadded" element, but to no avail.