xhtml implications

From: help kl <klhelp@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 04:07:08 -0800 (PST)
To: www-amaya@w3.org, www-amaya-dev@w3.org
Hello,

I just noticed that Amaya allows documents to be saved
in html, text and xhtml. I believe xhtml is a
reformulation of html4 in xml1.0. Does that make it a
superset, subset or some strange variant of true-blue
xml?

I'm interested in xml because of:
- the separation of content and presentation
- styling possibilities with css and the like
- dtd for creating my own document vocabularies, if
needed
- agent-based processing of documents
- a large collection of public-domain and commercial
xml tools for things like validation, transformation,
agent-apis, etc, etc.

Can someone please confirm that the above-listed xml
benefits will indeed apply to Amaya generated xhtml
documents?

Thank You