Re: Fonts for Amaya in Linux

From: Irene VATTON <Irene.Vatton@inrialpes.fr>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:01:51 +0200
To: Gediminas Bukauskas <bukagedi@nomagiclt.com>
cc: www-amaya-dev@w3.org

> What configuration file should I change to force Amaya work with my iso8859-4
> fonts, installed in X Window system?
> What font aliases are Amaya using for a file display and print?
> My tests shows, Amaya don't respects UNIX locale setting and ignores
> lang directive in the HTML file.
>
> Gediminas Bukauskas,
> Lithuania

Hi Gediminas,

Amaya only support today iso8859-1 and we made a patch just to display
other iso8859-x characters.

Amaya doesn't use the UNIX locale because it has its own dialogue language.
You should launch the French Amaya version (fr) even if you have a UNIX locale
sets
to English (en).

Amaya load fonts according to the current language used for the dialogue or any
part of the document.
The function FontIndentifier in Amaya/thotlib/dialogue/font.c generates the X
font
identifier from internal parameters: alphabet, family, hightlight, size.
If the alphabet is set to '4', Amaya will request a font "......-iso8859-4"
The parameter alphabet sent to FontIndentifier is stored into the Language
table
initialized by InitLanguage in Amaya/thotlib/document/language.c

Our goal is clearly to move toward a unicode support, and so having a full
support
for any language. This work is in progress, but it's not finished yet.
Meanwhile, if you want to display iso8859-4 characters you have to patch the
current code: