[aapi] Minutes: UAI TF Meeting Agenda Tue Jan 12, 2016

Link: https://www.w3.org/2016/01/12-aapi-minutes.html

Plain text follows.


      [1] http://www.w3.org/

   Accessible Rich Internet Applications Working Group Teleconference

12 Jan 2016

   See also: [2]IRC log

      [2] http://www.w3.org/2016/01/12-aapi-irc


          Joseph_Scheuhammer, Joanmarie_Diggs, Bryan_Garaventa,
          Rich_Schwerdtfeger, Cynthia_Shelly




     * [3]Topics
         1. [4]ACTION-1104 (Joanie) Monitor progress of ATK bug
            re: new position, level, and other API.
         2. [5]ACTION-1528 (All) Bolter to investigate IA2 mapping
            of aria-current.
         3. [6]ACTION-1529 (Joseph/Joanie) ATK/AT-SPI mappings of
            aria-current -- review edits.
         4. [7]ACTION-1531 (Joseph) Bolter to investigate ia2
            mapping of role="text"
     * [8]Summary of Action Items
     * [9]Summary of Resolutions

   <clown> agenda: this



   <clown> richardschwerdtfeger ^

   <cyns> nah, just fat fingers

   <scribe> scribe: joanie

ACTION-1104 (Joanie) Monitor progress of ATK bug re: new position,
level, and other API.

   <clown> action-1104?

   <trackbot> action-1104 -- Cynthia Shelly to Define what the
   accessibility API mapping is for UIA on aria-describedby in
   section 5.5.1 table when the element does not exist in the
   accessibility tree such as when css: display:none applies --
   due 2016-12-31 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [11]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1104

     [11] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1104

   JS: I thought we'd probably knock this one off pretty quickly.
   ... It's about adding group position to ATK/AT-SPI2 (which is
   not the action here)

   <clown> ACTION-1409?

   <trackbot> ACTION-1409 -- Joanmarie Diggs to Monitor progress
   of bug against atk in gnome's bugzilla requesting new position,
   level, and other api be added
   ([12]https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453) -- due
   2015-12-18 -- OPEN

     [12] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=727453)

   <trackbot> [13]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1409

     [13] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1409

   JD: In short, haven't gotten to it yet.
   ... At this point we're looking at doing it during the
   3.21/3.22 cycle.

   JS: I'll update the action with a note.
   ... Does that mean it's a year away.

   JD: No, because the 3.20 release is like in March(ish)
   ... Then we start 3.21 development.
   ... But, again, these attributes are being exposed already. So
   that's not blocked.
   ... What this action is for is to have better API in the

   JS: So I want a new due date for this.

   JD: Two months?

   JS: It's clearly not 1.1. Will there be an ARIA 1.2?

   RS: We haven't decided that yet.

   JS: I'm tempted then to move it out to ARIA 2.0. Objections?

   RS: No.

   JS: So then when?

   JD: Two months?

   JS: That's March.

   JD: That or April. For a ping.

   JS: I'll change the action (action-1409) and the associated
   issue to ARIA 2.0.

ACTION-1528 (All) Bolter to investigate IA2 mapping of aria-current.

   <clown> action-1528?

   <trackbot> action-1528 -- Alexander Surkov to Bolter to
   investigate the proper ia2 mappings for aria-current -- due
   2014-11-18 -- CLOSED

   <trackbot> [14]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1528

     [14] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1528

   JS: The IA2 mapping for aria-current.
   ... Just before the break, Rich wrote to the IA2 list.



   JS: There was some discussion between Alex Surkov and James
   ... The conclusion was that for now they will expose it via an
   object attribute.
   ... The URL is above.
   ... IA2 is using STATE_ACTIVE for something else.
   ... It's not the same as STATE_ACTIVE for ATK.
   ... There's some discussion between James Teh and Alex Surkov
   if other AT vendors can use STATE_ACTIVE in this additional
   ... But if they can, that won't happen any time soon.
   ... Hence, object attribute.
   ... I closed this action because I did the edits yesterday.
   ... I still need to fill in the AX API values.

   JD: In my email backlog, I believe there is a thread bump (on
   the new mailing list) with his/Apple's(?) concerns about
   ... If I'm right about that, we should take a look.

   JS: I vaguely remember that thread.
   ... I think it was related to on what object/element the
   property should be exposed.

   RS: Let's say we have a navigation section with a bunch of
   ... You're not going to go to the nav; you're going to go to
   the links. Right?

   BG: I know what thread you're talking about.
   ... From what I remember, I think Apple already implemented
   aria-current on the element that it's applied to.
   ... So I don't think that changes the spec or anything.

   <clown> [16]http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/189642

     [16] http://trac.webkit.org/changeset/189642

   JS: If you look through the above.... One of the attachments on
   the associated bug gives the values to use for AX API.
   ... They stick AXCurrent on the item. And the value is one of
   true, false, page, step, ...
   ... Which is essentially what we are doing for all the other
   accessibility APIs.

   BG + JS: It was basically too expensive to find the relevant

   JS: So James had an idea including the use of the ID.
   ... But the LĂ©onie said it wasn't needed.

ACTION-1529 (Joseph/Joanie) ATK/AT-SPI mappings of aria-current --
review edits.

   <clown> action-1529?

   <trackbot> action-1529 -- Joseph Scheuhammer to Investigate the
   proper atk/at-spi mappings for aria-current -- due 2014-11-18

   <trackbot> [17]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1529

     [17] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1529



   JS: I made some edits before the break with a note for Joanie
   to review it.
   ... (Reads from spec)

   JD: If it's absent completely (undefined), then it's not

   JS: Do we need an entry for aria-current with a value of false?

   JD: If something is aria-current and then becomes not-current,
   then for ATK/AT-SPI2, an object:state-changed:active event with
   detail1 being false needs to be emitted.

   JS: If I put that in for ATK/AT-SPI2, do I need to do something
   similar for the other platforms?



   JS: While you're thinking about that, look at the event table
   (at above URI).

   JD: Fine for me.

   CS: We don't have a good place to map this.
   ... So you'd emit a property-change event.
   ... On the aria-property property.
   ... Property change is the right one.
   ... If there were a "current" property, that would be the event
   type. But there's not.

   JS: It looks like we already have language/something similar
   for aria-busy.

   CS: Yes.

   JS: To recap: Not mapped for aria-current=undefined for ATK.
   ... I'll add a property-change event for UIA.
   ... So I just need AX API values and whether or not they have
   associated events.

   <clown> [20]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/products/23

     [20] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/products/23

   RS: Do we have an issue to add the error-message mapping?

   JS: We do. Though somewhat off-topic.
   ... See the above product list.

   RS: We don't have default values.

   JS: Yes we do.
   ... I emailed you.

ACTION-1531 (Joseph) Bolter to investigate ia2 mapping of role="text"

   <clown> action-1531

   <trackbot> action-1531 -- David Bolter to Bolter to investigate
   ia2 mapping of role="text" -- due 2014-11-18 -- OPEN

   <trackbot> [21]http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1531

     [21] http://www.w3.org/WAI/ARIA/track/actions/1531

   JS: I needed IA2 mappings for role="text".
   ... There was a lengthy thread about it.
   ... In the end the conclusion was map it to

   RS: What about UIA?

   JS: Text control pattern.

   CS: That makes it non-elements.

   JS: What do we want to do about text?

   RS: I question the mapping to text frame.

   JS: I can try to engage the IA2 people.

   CS: I'm concerned about authors confusing text and none.

   BG: With role="text", I can see common misuses like putting
   role="text" on anything which has text.

   JS: In the spec, one of the examples is to turn three
   paragraphs into a single string.

Summary of Action Items

Summary of Resolutions

   [End of minutes]

Received on Tuesday, 12 January 2016 21:09:50 UTC