Re: OT: Scientific American on Blind Persons Speed Reading

hmm, there is also research about visual cortex lighting up in fMRI when
working on 'pattern recognition' for braille.
I suppose aural processing is just more pattern recognition. not sure why
age of blindness should affect aural processing. I know it affects
movement, gait, and a host of other thing. an interesting question.
Jim

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:39 PM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:

> Most fascinating to me is that congenitally blind people didn't do so
> well. Best results were with people who lost vision between the ages of
> 2 and 15.
>
> In other words, it seems that getting the visual cortex working is
> important before repurposing it for aural processing.
>
> Janina
>
> James Craig writes:
> > Would be interested to see if they picked any sighted users familiar
> with TTS. For example, sighted screen reader users.
> >
> > It’d be interesting to see how much of it is “brain rewriting” due to
> practice rather than a missing sense of perception. By the logic deaf
> people should be able to read lips better than sighted, hearing individuals.
> >
> > A more interesting test would be blind people that have developed their
> sense of echolocation. Probably less quantifiable than WPM/SPM though. ;-)
> >

> > > On May 29, 2014, at 7:38 AM, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > Scientific evidence that blind people comprehend fast speech better
> than
> > > nonblind people.
> > >
> > > And, they didn't even pick a good TTS voice to test with!
> > >

> http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/why-can-some-blind-people-process/
> > >
> > > Janina
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Janina Sajka,    Phone:    +1.443.300.2200
> > >            sip:janina@asterisk.rednote.net
> > >        Email:    janina@rednote.net
> > >
> > > Linux Foundation Fellow
> > > Executive Chair, Accessibility Workgroup:    http://a11y.org
> > >
> > > The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)
> > > Chair,    Protocols & Formats    http://www.w3.org/wai/pf
> > >    Indie UI            http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/
> > >

> --
>
> Janina Sajka,   Phone:  +1.443.300.2200