RE: Does the HTML5 required attribute have the same accessibility affect as aria-required for an ARIA defined widget?

James Craig wrote:

> On May 8, 2014, at 10:05 AM, Gunderson, Jon R <jongund@illinois.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > So the following would be also be considered  invalid, since the
> aria-required attribute is in conflict with the required attribute:
> >
> >  <input type="checkbox" required aria-required="true">
>
> I would call your example redundant, but not in conflict.

Redundant perhaps, but best over-all user-experience (circa 2012)
http://john.foliot.ca/required-inputs/#wrap

> Both
> @required and @aria-required have true values. Likewise the following
> example is redundant but not in conflict.
>
>   <input type="checkbox" aria-required="false"> <!-- @required is false
> (implicit) and @aria-required is also false (explicit) -->
>
> However, the following examples are in conflict:
>
>   <input type="checkbox" aria-required="true"> <!-- @required is false
> (implicit) and @aria-required is true (explicit) -->
>   <input type="checkbox" required aria-required="false"> <!-- @required
> is true (explicit) and @aria-required is false (explicit) -->

...and James, if I am to understand the bug you filed correctly, you are
stating that the native host semantics (i.e. HTML5's semantic) should
"trump" ARIA? (I agree with that, but just want to be clear in my own head).

Cheers!

JF