Re: ARIA in CSS (Was: [user-context] What are the use cases for exposing screen reader or magnifier version info?)

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 5:23 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2013, at 8:25 AM, Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I agree with James. There are a LOT of issues around this. In
> particular, there is a huge impact on accessibility test tools - in effect
> this would break all the accessibility test tools for rich web available
> today.
>
> As far as I know, this would not affect tools like Accessibility Inspector
> or AccProbe. Will you clarify?

That's my impression too - native accessibility testing tools don't access
the DOM directly, so when the browser adds a feature to map CSS attributes
onto the accessibility objects corresponding to DOM nodes, native
accessibility testing tools would see those changes without modification.

Perhaps Rich was referring to tools that inspect HTML? If so, it's true
that some of them would need to change, but I don't buy the argument that
we should avoid introducing new ARIA features because they'll require HTML
validation tools to change - you could make the same argument about any new
web standard.

In terms of the priority of this vs other features, I think that's a matter
of opinion. I'm very supportive of Canvas and SVG accessibility, but
personally I see more demand for easier/less expensive ways to apply ARIA
to a document than I do for either of those.

- Dominic